We are grateful for our lovely followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Google Website Translator Gadget

Monday 14 February 2011

SPOTLIGHT - PLASTIC

Welcome back to our Spotlight Challenge where we focus on a technique, style or product and before we get onto it we'd like to say a big thank you for your spotlight water entires and thank you to Handy Hippo for sponsoring! Our regular challenge is still running until next week and that is Hearts and today on our spotlight we're gong to look at Judie's choice of PLASTIC so you must use plastic somewhere on your creation be that Acetate, friendly plastic, shrink plastic, sweet wrappers etc.  It doesn't have to be a card, we're not fussy here so whatever you fancy creating so long as it fits the theme :)

I have a little giveaway for the winner which is 8 x A4 sheets of shrink plastic for you to have fun with (2 each of black, white, translucent and clear)

Whilst I'm here - TOMORROW IS WINNERS DAY!!  YAY!!  We'll be posting the winners of all the closed challenges in the tab at the top tomorrow evening so check back to see if you're one of them! 

Onwards to the challenge and haven't they done well woweeeee!



This was my challenge for the team "Plastic", I have been gagging to make this butterfly so now was the perfect time I have used Friendly plastic,  a gold and a green, I chopped some of each colour into each wing and added little gems of the same colours, its backed onto foil and beads attached.  I have the sentiment but it wouldnt fit on the card right, so I wrote it out and embossed it.  Step by step destructions will be on my  blog .

Ei

For this week's super challenge, I've used shrink plastic...for the very first time! And despite having visions of ending up with a small globule of melted plastic on the end of my tweezers, it was actually quite easy and great fun!
I stamped Tilda onto the plastic, but coloured her on the 'wrong' side in quite strong colours. This was the hardest part as the plastic didn't seem to like any of my mediums very much - they Lyra pencils ended up the best. I then cut her out and heated her with the heat gun. Then I used my Tim Holtz Baroque Bigz die to cut out the medallion behind Tilda and heated that. Tilda was adhered with jewellery cement and a jump ring attached. I then inked the edge of the medallion with a Krylon 18ct Gold pen. THis whole was then attached by a piece of gold thread to the card and the little sequins added. Lastly an acetate dragonfly was adhered. The gold spots are just peel-off waste.




I used Friendly Plastic for my card this time, I melted the Friendy Plastic with my heat gun and used a heart shaped cutter (like a metal cookie cutter but much smaller) to cut the hearts - can only do 1 at a time because the plastic has to harden again before you can remove the cutter. I stamped a swirl on to the stamped & distressed background and glued the hearts on to resemble flowers. I had to make the word love from alphabet stamps and stamped onto another piece of card. Added lace and flowers to finish it off.


Jack

I saw flowers made from printed acetate sheets on TV and I thought 'I can do that' lol.  So I cut some flower shapes from acetate, inked them up with alcohol inks, heated the acetate and shaped the flowers.  They are fixed together with pretty jewel brads.  The box is painted with Tecso childrens paint and I used a couple of punches to pretty things up.  I will put full details of how I made this on my blog.




made using acetate gold leaf black peel offs double sided sticky sheet and die cut for the negative picture i used same matertials plus magic sheet to lift the waste peel off to transfer to the acetate to make the negative picture saves wasting it and quite effective


I've used plastic in a number of ways on this one. First, the main image is printed on polyester film. I've mounted it on sparkle paper (which is also plastic coated), and added some shrink plastic 'flowers'. The shrink plastic and background card were stamped with the same image and coloured with Sakura Stardust pens. And the finishing touch is a peel off butterfly that's backed with a white net material.




I have used alcohol inks onto acetate and then stamped a floral centre and added butterflies and bees around it in stazon ink. Initially I was going to leave it at that, but as you can see from the first picture, once held up to the window the stamping didn't show up enough. Plan B. I have some of that blending solution that lets you paint on acetate so I squirted some into various Cosmic Shimmer paints and then painted the stamped images and as you can see they show up much better when it's hung in the window. If you pop over to my blog I have some more pictures plus the one that got away! Or was not good enough for the CCM Challenge!

I've never really played with plastics before and have had very bad results with shrinkies etc in the past so I dug out my acetate sheets for this spotlight.  Using a combination of acetate, peel-offs and promarkers I created the butterfly centerpiece which I warped a little with my heatgun so it would bend cleanly and then created a background on some more acetate with some shimmer mists and the cut it out with a nestie and then using alternating colours I used the bigger nesties to make some more concentric circles.  A couple more diecuts here and there and a bit of dry-embossing with a cuttlebug folder and a bit of silver sparkly paper completes the background. 


Thats it from us so come and challenge yourself and have a play with plastic!




5 comments:

  1. Oh my you really are challenging us or at least me!lol love the DT projects and I like Lin's ideas of a suncatcher so I may have a bash at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the great challenge! Beautiful cards from the DT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome challenge!!! I love all the beauties the DT created...talk about inspiration!! All of you definitely inspired me to pull out my plastic canvas...haven't used that stuff for years, but it was fun getting reacquainted with it again:) Thank you for all the fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic challenge and what inspirational work from the DT!
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining in our challenges and leaving lovely comments.